School Readiness Consulting (SRC) and The American Institutes for Research (AIR) are partnering to complete a multi-state, randomized control trial, involving students in elementary schools across four urban school districts. SRC seeks to hire teams of data collectors based in Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Camden, NJ and Newark, NJ to carry out the data collection this spring, as well as in the fall of 2013 and, again, in the spring of 2014. Each team will administer individual child assessments using the Predictive Assessment of Reading (PAR); assess entire classrooms using the Group Reading and Diagnostic Evaluation (GRADE); and conduct classroom observations using the Early Language and Literacy Classroom Observation (ELLCO) within 4-5 week assessment cycles. Training for the Spring 2013 cycle will occur in February and March and data collection will begin soon thereafter. SRC will ensure that administration of all tools occurs in a standardized way through online supervisory meetings and on-site fidelity checks conducted within each cycle.
About School Readiness Consulting
At School Readiness Consulting, we improve early learning from birth to age eight using a customized approach to evaluating effectiveness and building capacity. We do this by tapping into a network of professionals with a wide array of skills and experience specifically in early learning. Our clients include early care and education providers, charter and public schools, and national organizations. We provide services directly for clients and also as a partner for larger organizations needing a stronger connection to the on-site reality of early learning. Our dynamic team of consultants provides an opportunity for independent professionals to become part of a high-performing network connected to all facets of the early childhood field.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend one of the two-day training sessions held in Newark, Philadelphia or Chicago on the Predictive Assessment of Reading (PAR) and Group Reading and Diagnostic Evaluation (GRADE). Also, demonstrate competence in all administration procedures;
- Attend a separate training in one of the study school areas on Early Language and Literacy Classroom Observation (ELLCO) and demonstrate competence in all administration procedures;
- Participate in a separate Web-ex orientation training; also complete an online course on ethical conduct that takes approximately four hours;
- Conduct a minimum of three visits to study schools within each week of the approximately four-week long assessment window (March-May);
- Participate in bi-weekly Web-ex meetings, as needed;
- Deliver completed assessment packets for the evaluation study to the data coordinator each week of the assessment window;
- Submit all labor and expenses monthly, using SRC’s online invoicing system.
- B.A. degree preferred (in education, child development, psychology or related field);
- Experience working with children in schools;
- Punctuality, a commitment to teamwork, flexibility, and excellent communication skills;
- No criminal records and willingness to submit to background checks;
- Available between approximately 8 am and 2 pm on a minimum of three consecutive days each week during the approximately four-week long assessment window;
- Ability to travel to study schools and to deliver assessment materials to the data coordinator on a weekly basis;
- An eighteen-month commitment is preferred.
This position is a contract position without benefits or leave compensation. Compensation occurs monthly. Data collectors will be compensated per assessment completed and paid a stipend for training after two weeks of successful data collection. All study schools are located in Chicago, Camden, Philadelphia, or Newark.
- E-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please included your cover letter in the text of the main e-mail
- Be sure to indicate “Data Collector Applicant” in the subject line of the email, along with your location: Chicago, Philadelphia/Camden, or Newark
- Please save your resume with the title LastName_FirstName_DataCollectorApplication,
- In the body of the email, please indicate your earliest availability and how many days per week (8 a.m.-2 p.m.) you would be available to conduct study school visits.